This recipe uses favorite Kashmiri spices like fennel/aniseed and ginger powder. Dum Aaloo is named so because it is cooked under Dum or pressure. In this cooking method, the food is cooked under pressure in its juices.
1. 1 kg Mutton
2. 1 1/2 inch piece of Ginger
3. 1 pod Garlic
4. 6 Almonds
5. 1 tsp Peppercorns
6. 4 Cardamoms
7. 3 small sticks of Cinnamon
8. 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
9. 1 tsp Turmeric powder
10. 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
11. a small piece of raw Papaya
12. a few Coriander leaves
13. Ghee for frying
14. Salt to taste
1. Chop mutton into steak size pieces.
2. Roast poppy seeds and almonds, and grind to paste.
3. Grind ginger and garlic into a smooth paste.
4. Grind cardamom, peppercorns, papaya and coriander leaves with salt.
5. Wash meat and beat on a grinding stone. Mix ground masala with poppy seed and almond paste, cumin seeds and cinnamon sticks. Marinate the meat pieces in this mixture for an hour.
6. Heat ghee in a frying pan, add the meat pieces and fry for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of water and cook on slow heat till meat is tender.
7. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves and lemon slices.
Bye till the next post…..